JDAIM Storytime – Kindness
One of February’s designations is Jewish Disability Awareness, Acceptance and Inclusion Month. Our focus this week is kindness and ways we can be kind. We read:
When I Care About Others by Cornelia Maude Spelman and illustrated by Kathy Parkinson
Kind by Axel Scheffler and 38 illustrators!
Class Activity – Make A Class Kindness Jar!
You have two options for a class kindness jar…
Every time a student in your class does something kind, they can put a pom pom in the kindness jar. Once it’s full, the class gets a prize!
Have students each fill in 3 post-it’s with ideas for a random act of kindness that can be done at school. Each day upon entering class, students pick one post-it from the jar and need to find a way to fulfill that act of kindness before the end of the school day. Ideas could include;
- clean up part of the classroom
- give someone a compliment
- play with someone who is alone
- open a door for someone
- offer to help your teacher with something
- pick up trash in the hallway and put it in the garbage
- listen to someone who is sad or upset
- make a new friend