The Books That Shaped Our Graduating Class of 2023

Our graduating students were asked to each choose one book that influenced who they are today.  Here is their list.

Student Name: Benjamin D.

Title of the Book: Eragon

Why this book is influential/important to you:  Eragon showed me that anyone from any background could grow and flourish into a hero or fall short of the expectations set by other people.  This is an important lesson that every kid should learn.  Eragon has shown me to always think about what other people might be going through.

Student Name: Joey S.

Title of the Book: Wonder

Why this book is influential/important to you: R.J. Palacio’s Wonder has had a significant impact on my life.  My eyes were opened to children who have limitations in the world and I was much more conscious of the bullying issue after reading it with my fifth-grade class.  In this book, a boy who is entering a mainstream school for the first time and has significant facial indifference shares his perspective.  Auggie had difficulties with bullies, friends, and family, and as the novel progressed, I began to feel a genuine connection to him despite the dissimilar worlds in which we both live.  My life was changed by Wonder, and I will always cherish the incredible book.

Student Name: Mia T.

Title of the Book: The Amulet Series

Why this book is influential/important to you:  This book has influenced me because it has incredible storylines and creative designs and challenges that can relate to everyday struggles and hard decisions that impact you. One of the biggest challenges that the main character has to face is the loss of an important family member. Although this doesn’t relate to me it touches my heart and shows me how different people cope with stress and it showed me how different ways I can deal with stress in a more healthy way. Also, the book tells you once their dad died the main character found a place to travel far away in space where she knew nothing and nobody I think this resemblance the familiarity she lost and how now that she doesn’t have her father she is stuck in an unknown place in the middle of nowhere lost and unable to get out to reach for help to return.

Student Name: Mia A.

Title of the Book: The Length of a String

Why this book is influential/important to you: This book is one of my favourite books ever. It has stuck with me for years and years. I love this because it really taught me about the Holocaust in an age appropriate way. It was so intriguing because it was a story instead of just facts. This book taught me that we can’t take anything for granted because it can be ripped away when we are least expecting it. It taught me to find the important things in life and that time with people you love is precious.

Student Name: Miguel N.

Title of the Book: Brady Brady and The Great Rink

Why this book is influential/important to you: This book has taught me the importance of hard work and dedication. When problems occur in the story Brady always tries to be proactive and solve the problem. It has taught me that you will succeed if you work hard on something and are dedicated to it.

Student Name: Audrey M.

Title of the Book: Death on the Nile

Why this book is influential/important to you:  This book has impacted me in so many ways. In this book, it shows that you can’t trust people, even your closest friends. It demonstrates revenge and how even the smallest mistakes can have a big outcome. We should always think of our actions and not just our opinion on them, but also how they could impact someone else. This book also reminds us to keep our trusted friends and family close.

Student Name: Shylee M.

Title of the Book: Malibu Rising

Why this book is influential/important to you:  This book is influential to me because it portrays the significance of moving on, and standing up for yourself. This book has taught me that at the end of the day, it’s not about putting your all into others but leaving space for yourself.

Student Name: Mara C.

Title of the Book: The Lies of Locke Lamora

Why this book is influential/important to you:  This book is about the trials of a small gang of thieves called the Gentleman Bastards. This is influential to me because unlike so many fantasy or fiction books, this one doesn’t sugarcoat the pain or suffering. Yes people die. Thieves get caught. This book doesn’t end in a happily ever after, which is why even though it doesn’t take place in our world, it is so relatable.

Student Name: Sasha P.

Title of the Book: Keeper of the Lost Cities Series

Why this book is influential/important to you:  A book series that has really stood out to me is “Keeper Of The Lost Cities”. In this series, the main character develops from being a young and naive girl, to a strong, powerful and brave woman. This story showed me that you can be who you want to be and always grow. As the main character figures out who she wants to be in this story, it showed me how much people who aspire to change, can.

Student Name: Yossi R.

Title of the Book: The Hunger Games

Why this book is influential/important to you:  This book has influenced me in many ways, the most important one being that if you put your whole effort into it, and have a reason to continue fighting you can beat the worst of odds. In this novel, the protagonist is faced with impossible odds and yet manages to survive despite the world beginning against her. She has the will to keep fighting for her little sister, and knows that if she fails she will break her sister’s heart. That is why she keeps on fighting. In the end this main character manages to overcome the obstacles in her way and successfully free herself and the rest of the world.

Student Name: Maor W.

Title of the Book: Least Expected Heroes of the Holocaust

Why this book is influential/important to you:  Vera Gara’s book, Least Expected Heroes of the holocaust is an important book to be because a holocaust is a big event that happened and a lot of Jews died including some members of my family. in this book, she talks about her story in the holocaust and how she and her family survived.

Student Name: Ella B.

Title of the Book: Demon Dentist

Why this book is influential/important to you:  Demon Dentist was written by one of my favourite authors, David Walliams. This book taught me to act on instinct, if you get a strange feeling about someone look into it.

Student Name: Joey S.

Title of the Book: The Outsiders

Why this book is influential/important to you: This book is influential because it teaches us about self-identity vs group identity. In this book, The Outsiders form a separate group because they feel like they’re outside of society. This book also teaches us about social classes and the uniqueness of different types of people.

Student Name: Jaxon O.

Title of the Book: The Crossover

Why this book is influential/important to you:  I chose The Crossover, by Kwame Alexander, because I don’t really like to read books and this was one book I really liked to read. I liked the book’s characterization and how it told about the two brothers and parents. It not only described  how the 2 brothers looked, it also told us about their favourite basketball players and their favourite music which I think helps the story out a lot. I also like how the author wrote the book.  It keeps you intrigued. I find with most books, its plain simple story telling but with this book  different writing techniques to make you want to keep reading. I also think this book encourages me to read more graphic novels by the author.

1 thought on “The Books That Shaped Our Graduating Class of 2023